Here are 10 fundamental soft skills for relationship and career success.
10 Fundamental Soft Skills for Relationship and Career Success
No matter what career you choose, you will need to develop hard skills specific to that career. Counselors need to have great therapy skills. Engineers need great skills in mathematics and problem solving. Doctors need great anatomy and systems knowledge skills. Hard skills specific your career on a great resume are the keys to earn you an interview.
No matter what relationship you choose, you will need some hard skills, too: How to wash dishes, pay bills, take care of laundry.
JUST AS IMPORTANT as hard skills, are SOFT SKILLS. No matter what career you choose or relationship you choose, to be successful you will develop these 10 fundamental soft skills:
- Self-motivated- You have a good work ethic. You will get a job done. You pull your weight in work or relationship.
- Personal Style- You aware of yourself. You know your personality, your strengths and your weaknesses. You are comfortable with who you are. (Sign up for my newsletter and I’ll send you my list of personality test links.)
- Respectfully Aware of Others- You are aware of others. Whether others include colleagues, supervisors, spouses or children, you are polite and agreeable. You are also as assertive as you need to be.
- Presence/Active Listening- You listen to what colleagues, supervisors or loved ones say. You listen not only so that you have a savvy answer, but truly listening for their content. You can repeat back what they said if the situation arises. You never interrupt.
- Verbal Communication- Your words are positive. When you need to be persuasive, you do so without intimidation or anger. You have an appropriate sense of humor.
- Non-verbal Communication- You smile freely and try to avoid the *resting bitch face*. You use the magic non-verbals to set people at ease while showing confidence. (Download this freebie.)
- Team Work- You are able to take leadership and/or followership on a team. You are able to allow credit to go where credit is due. You help people feel good about themselves because of the encouragement they received while working with you!
- Creative Thinking- You are able to brainstorm. You use your thoughts and words creatively when necessary. You appreciate beautiful things and ideas.
- Problem Solving- You are willing to work on a problem until it has a solution. You talk things out looking for solutions, not vindication.
- Trustworthy- You are able to say, “I’m wrong”. You will do what is asked and more. You honestly handle time and resources.
Are you ready for some expert coaching to help you hone your soft skills? Contact me!